Saturday, June 9, 2012

To All Graduates...and students of life!

Graduation season is upon us. Whether you are done with high school, college, or just pre-school like my little one, it's time to celebrate! As you begin the next chapter in your life and look forward to all that's ahead, you may be reflecting on your past and making decisions as to your future.

David McCullough Jr., the son of the Pulitzer Prize-winning historian and a longtime English teacher at Wellesley High School in Wellesley, Massachusetts, gave his students a reality check at their graduation. I was raised with the same lessons that Mr. McCullough is urging students to learn. I was taught that I'm smart, funny, kind, strong, beautiful and special. But the main thing that my parent's wanted me to know was that I'm all of those things but only to them. That I will need to spend my life trying to show others who I am and what I'm about. And more importantly, that there are millions of others who are also all of those things and that their parents are telling them the same thing. That life isn't about who people say you are, but who you really are. And that you can get people's attention by doing good as well as bad, but you need to decide which way you want it.

So happy graduation to all of you and good luck making the right decisions in YOUR life!

No comments:

Post a Comment